Monday, April 9, 2012

Full stash ahead

Last week, my former next door neighbor asked if she could commission me to make a quilt for a friend of hers, newly diagnosed with a serious illness. She had seen some of my work on etsy and had been inspired by a particular wallhanging.

I was very touched that she would consider a quilt that I made to be a suitable, special gift for her dear friend and immediately agreed. With a vision in mind and a rough drawing in hand, I hurried to Quiltworks -- and I mean that literally, because it was the last day of their sale and they were closing early for Easter weekend.

The friend's favorite color is pink, so that was a great starting point for the feature fabric. I chose complementary colors for the central motif and for a pieced border.

But when I got home, I realized that I had some fabric in my stash that would look even better than one or two of the half-yards I'd just purchased. So I raided my stash, even-exchanging it for the new fabric.

And that, my friends, is how a stash never gets smaller.

I'll ask my "customer" if it's ok to post a photo of the quilt here. I'm pleased with the way it turned out, and hope it will comfort her friend. I'm grateful to be part of her healing.

I also sewed together the blocks for the cherry blossom quilt and appliqued a Japanese lantern in the corner. I still have to do the raw-edge stitching to finish the applique, but I like how it looks -- unless you think that the lantern legs are too long.  (They remind me a little of the way Nate Berkus stands. I have no idea why I notice such things.) Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment